1. What is your full name?
Thomas Bernard Mayes. But call me Tom. My friends and parent’s friends from school days still call me little Tommy.
2. What was your favorite activity as a child?
No favorite activity. I was always a jock. I was always playing some type of ball game.
3. What job did you have in high school?
I worked at the Marin Art & Garden Center setting up for weekend weddings and fashion shows.
4. What is your most embarrassing memory?
Wow. There are way too many! Showing up for a costume ice skating party ( I was an elf with green tights and long green elf hat ) and finally noticed that I was the ONLY person in costume.
5. What is the best vacation you have ever taken?
Every vacation is the best ever. As a family, we love going to Sea Ranch up the California coast. We just got back from a truly memorable week – so best vacation in recent memory.
6. What makes you laugh out loud?
Young Frankenstein, Annie Hall, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, and all of my really funny friends.
7. What accomplishments are you most proud of?
Building beautiful houses and gardens for my family over the past 25 years.
8. What advice would you give to your younger self?
Definitely start yoga at age 30. Still playing high level sports in my 30’s & 40’s, I thought my body would handle the grind forever…But age definitely caught up.
9. What would you like people to remember about you?
That I was always inclusive, happy and willing to lend a hand.
10. Why do you practice at Marin Power Yoga?
That is 2 questions.
1. I started practicing yoga as an opportunity to improve my core strength ( I kept throwing my back out from years of back abuse ). Six years later, I love the daily ritual; riding my bike to class to avoid finding a parking spot, doing Gentle Yoga and Yin Yang for the physical routine and results and most importantly for the sheer enjoyment of the peace it brings. It is so nice to truly relax for 1 hour during an otherwise hectic day.
2. Why do I practice at MPY? I feel really lucky to be part of a tight, fun and relaxed community of friends. I’ve never practiced anywhere else – so I can’t compare. But, I can’t imagine that any other studio has so many generous, compassionate and thoughtful teachers who enrich our lives like all of you at our humble retreat on Tunstead Ave. Thank You!!